New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:38 pm

P.S. If you're sure that the Behringer is device number 2 (check with 'cat /proc/asound/cards') then first kill/stop al "old" instanced of Jack with these two commands:

Code: Select all

pkill -9 jackdbus
killall jackd


Then start Jack with the good old command:

Code: Select all

jackd -d alsa --device hw:2


Then run qjackctl and check connections. In qjackctl settings I've got it set up to NOT start any scripts whatsoever:
Image

My advanced settings from qjackctl:
Image

Good luck.

Pix Retro
Established Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Re: New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Postby Pix Retro » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:21 am

hmm..

so I installed Xubuntu as i was thinking to move away from gnome...

still having the same issues...

Just had a thought...

It's plugged into a usb 3.0 port... would putting it in a usb 2.0 help?

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:43 am

Pix Retro wrote:hmm..

so I installed Xubuntu as i was thinking to move away from gnome...

still having the same issues...

Just had a thought...

It's plugged into a usb 3.0 port... would putting it in a usb 2.0 help?

It is NOT jour distro that is the problem. Have you even tried to do what I suggested? It is very difficult to help you if you keep switching distro's. Starting to loose patience here...

Pix Retro
Established Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Re: New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Postby Pix Retro » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:57 pm

I'll try this again... must have forgot to click post before...

I thought i'd done everything you'd asked... can't really see anything that i haven't... let me know if i did...

I reinstalled linux cause i've been dicking about with it for days now and wasn't sure if i'd messed anything up as things were installed before i added KX repository...

running the cat command..
running the jackd command with the correct hw:
running qjackctrl it finds the device's midi port but doesnt show in the in/out bit
it's plugged into a usb3 port... going to try a usb 2 port...

dunno what else i can do...

Sorry if you feel like i'm messing about... I've never got jack running which is why i dropped linux last time...

User avatar
sysrqer
Established Member
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Postby sysrqer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:05 pm

This is all pretty confusing to follow. If you have the kxstudio repos installed then install cadence and catia.
Run cadence, go in to the setup pages and select your card (other defaults should be fine for now), go to the main cadence window and start jack from there. Go to the pulseaudio bridge further down and start the bridge.
Once you have done all that please show a screenshot of Catia's window

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:02 pm

Pix Retro wrote:running the jackd command with the correct hw:

I one post your Behringer audio card is hw:2 and then you start jackd for hw:1 (or 0, I forgot). I'm still not sure you're starting jack for the correct audio device. Are you using a laptop or a Raspberry Pi? Those two "lose" the connection with jack in my experience. Are you using the USB audio device via a USB hub (which is discouraged)?

Post the output on the command line (w/ copy - paste, right mouse button etc) from the command with which you start Jack. I know the proper message Jack should give. Example:

Code: Select all

$ jackd -d alsa --device hw:1
jackdmp 1.9.12
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
Copyright 2016-2018 Filipe Coelho.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio1
creating alsa driver ... hw:1|hw:1|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback


The output of jackd should look like that on your machine too. Good luck.
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:03 pm

sysrqer wrote:This is all pretty confusing to follow. If you have the kxstudio repos installed then install cadence and catia.
Run cadence, go in to the setup pages and select your card (other defaults should be fine for now), go to the main cadence window and start jack from there. Go to the pulseaudio bridge further down and start the bridge.
Once you have done all that please show a screenshot of Catia's window

There are many ways to start Jack. Doesn't really matter which you use I think. But you must start it for the proper device and I still do not know for sure that he does.

User avatar
sysrqer
Established Member
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Postby sysrqer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:13 pm

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
sysrqer wrote:This is all pretty confusing to follow. If you have the kxstudio repos installed then install cadence and catia.
Run cadence, go in to the setup pages and select your card (other defaults should be fine for now), go to the main cadence window and start jack from there. Go to the pulseaudio bridge further down and start the bridge.
Once you have done all that please show a screenshot of Catia's window

There are many ways to start Jack. Doesn't really matter which you use I think. But you must start it for the proper device and I still do not know for sure that he does.

For sure but when you are running commands it can be confusing, like you mentioned with not knowing which card is being used and using a 1 instead of a 2. If you know what you are doing then that is the simplest way to do things (and the most informative) but if you're having trouble like this I think the simplified version is best when want to know for sure you have chosen the desired card, and if that doesn't work we can dig deeper.

Both are valid ways though.

Pix Retro
Established Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Re: New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Postby Pix Retro » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:19 pm

yeah... it was the USB 3.0 port...

tried it in a USB 2 and is recognized now...

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:23 pm

Pix Retro wrote:yeah... it was the USB 3.0 port...

tried it in a USB 2 and is recognized now...

What exactly do you mean? That the jackd command gives the proper output? Glad you finally got it working. USB 3 should be backwards compatible w/ USB 2 though...

Pix Retro
Established Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Re: New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Postby Pix Retro » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:33 pm

it's got the 10 inputs and 12 outputs are now showing in qjack..

it is an old computer... there must be an issue with the port on the motherboard as to why it wasn't recognized..

Image

the connections tab was empty

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:09 am

Pix Retro wrote:it's got the 10 inputs and 12 outputs are now showing in qjack..

it is an old computer... there must be an issue with the port on the motherboard as to why it wasn't recognized..

Image

the connections tab was empty

That's the stuff! Nice audio device for the price, isn't it? Now you can try to make your first multi-track recording w/ (for instance) Qtracktor. You have to create 8 so-called busses in Qtractor for that. I quess that'll be your next question in this forum.

Good luck! :)

Pix Retro
Established Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Re: New distro suggestions and tips please!!! :D

Postby Pix Retro » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:20 am

thanks... i think i need to do a lot more reading before i start harassing people on here... :D

think i've already caused enough bother... :D

(give it till the weekend! :D)


Return to “Newbies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest