Hello

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

bitsnpcs
Established Member

Hello

Postby bitsnpcs » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:34 pm

Hello LinuxMusicians,

my name is Róisín, as it was problematic for people when I was young, so I have always used my middle name of Jade, I became 18yo earlier this year. I began to use Linux on an old computer when I was 12yo, I still used Windows on another computer for about 3 to 3.5 years. When I got my first new computer about 1.5-2 years ago it was with no OS, I installed Linux Lite to it with a lot of help as it was a problematic install due to the graphics, last year I got my other (this one I type on) new computer which is a Punch Technology desktop that came with Ubuntu pre-installed by their technicians.
I also have a reconditioned netbook this came with Windows pre-installed, I installed Fedora Workstation on it instead.
I have no Windows computers for 1.5-2 years now.

I have always been an avid listener of music, mostly reggae. One of my first projects to help become familiar with Linux was I decided on a project to make a music mix, which I hadn't tried before. I got a bit determined with it, I borrowed the songs from an online platform, and used some open source DJ effects, in Audacity, I edited the open source effects to change them or join them, then used basic things like fades, I decided on 2 hours per night after school to work on it, after 16 nights (32hours) I had completed the mix of 55 minutes duration, I was not able to find a platform to share it and get feedback or tips to improve so this deterred me from wasting my time making any more mixes.

I am currently learning to play the djembe drum at home from online videos, I like the contemporary style, and I'd like to learn how to play some reggae on it eventually too, I also want to learn to play some meditation type music that may help others. I have 2 djembe a mahogany wood one and recently got a synthetic shell one, both are 12" heads of goatskin. Tomorrow my darbuka should arrive this is a 10" bass version, so I will be trying to learn this too.
I am hoping to record the sound of my playing so I can listen back to it on the computer and see if I am improving over time.
When it is improved I want to upload the results to YouTube so other people can use them free, by adding in their own instruments, using in parts of mixes, or for intro of their video,

milo
Established Member

Re: Hello

Postby milo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:20 pm

Welcome Jade! This forum is full of info for your Linux recording adventures. Let us know how we can help.

bitsnpcs
Established Member

Postby bitsnpcs » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Thank You milo

Openmastering
Established Member

Postby Openmastering » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:54 pm

Welcome here Jade,

There are a lot of ways to release and share your music. YouTube is fine but also really generic. Maybe some dedicated audio sharing platform might be also a good place.

And keep on practicing :wink:
Audio mastering for open minds: https://openmastering.studio
I master music using only free/libre softwares and DIY hardware.
Contact me for a free mastering sample.

bitsnpcs
Established Member

Postby bitsnpcs » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:43 pm

Thank You Openmastering.
I will also have a look about some dedicated audio sharing platforms.
I will keep practicing :)

Return to “New? We're glad you're here!”